Saturday, April 11, 2020

Continuing the chain of compassion


Srimathi S hails from a small town in Trichy District. Her parents are daily wage earners. She completed XII Std in the Govt. Girls Higher Secondary School in that small town. '' I had no conducive atmosphere at home to study nor did I get any proper guidance from the school regarding choice of course for higher studies or any career counselling” says Srimathi.
Despite these disadvantages, she has a very bright academic record. She stood third in school with a score of 90% in X Std and was the school topper in XII with 90%. “I owe all this to my mentor Parvathy V Iyer. She was a resident of my town. In the evenings she used to provide space in her house for many poor school children to study. Everyday evening many children will gather in her house to complete homework and study. I was one of them. She provided snacks to all of us and also talked to us about the importance of education, how we should focus on studies and come up in life with good careers. Her care and affection helped me to study properly and set my life goals." she observes.
She completed B.Sc Maths from a college in Trichy and secured second rank in the University with 93%. While pursuing degree course she was selected as an apprentice trainee by Wipro. Wipro had introduced this programme for rural students. "I shifted to Chennai. Monday to Friday I attended Wipro training. On weekends I attended classes for MS Degree of BITS, PILANI. I was paid a stipend by Wipro as also the fee for the course. I passed MS with 73% After my contract period with WIPRO, I changed companies and now I am a Senior Software Engineer in Panasonic, Singapore.

I was introduced to Sevalaya by K Muthuramakrishnan, relative of my mentor Parvathy V Iyer. I am impressed by the services of Sevalaya for the underprivileged kids. I know how much it means to them. If proper guidance is given to rural underprivileged students, they will shine in any field. I am a living example for that. I have resolved to support Sevalaya. I wish Sevalaya Godspeed", concludes Srimathi.

No comments:

Post a Comment